Thursday, May 11, 2006

What Not to Do


Well, I think I have pretty much done everything that a webmaster should never do. It seemed like I had a week-long brain fart that just wouldn't quit. It started off by me going into the site and see what's what and having this greet me:

After sitting back and trying to clean the crap out of my pants, I tried to figure out exactly what I did wrong. And trust me, as any new webmaster will know, this would scare the heck out of them!
Well, let's list the charges of stupidity against me.
  • Forgetting to have the domain name re-registered. For newbies, this is a must do. It was unbelievably stupid of me to let this go. In case you are wondering, the domain name is the actual name of your site. most people (like me) rent the name. And if you forget to pay the rent, you lose the name. That means that anyone can come up off of the street and take that name for themselves, and there wouldn't be anything that you could do about it. So if you want to get a name for your site, there are many places that you could goto to get your domain registered, like register.com and enom.com. They are relatively cheap.
  • Another thing to never is change the style sheet for the whole site, on the live version. (if you are not used to development environments, you may not understand the importance.) You should have a test version of your site separate, so if you make a mistake there, you can always take the working version and fix it. Also if you F#%!! it up, no one will see it. But doing it on the live site, man, what a brain fart. Trust me, just do all of your changes on your test site, and once it works, then put it out on the live site. (anyone who does web development will probably read this and go: "WTF!?? How stupid!?") But I fixed it, so just trust me.
Actually, there is about 1,000 other things that I really screwed up on, but these I thought would be funny in a way.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home