Ode to the Pirate
Ok, I know I usually post information that is relevent to newbie mistakes in the world of web development and blogging, But I thought that I would take a moment out to point out some little issue
The Pirate Bay site Is one of the largest P2P places out there. Now as everyone else out there, I am quite sure that by now you know how the site was raided by goverment officials in order to shut it down. Ok, After Napster and Kazaa, you wouldn't blink twice about something like this happening.
Fine, fine, they promoted the idea of taking music, movies, etc and allowing people to share these files, thereby going in league with the Devil. (or something close to that. according to some people, like oh say the RIAA). Now that the site is down, and COMPLETELY dead,* Ok we all know that it's getting back up now even as we speak. This brings us to the main point: What gave anyone the idea that the US (via corporate interests) could send directions out to another goverment and override their laws just for the sake of the corporations?? ( see article, see article). So does this now mean that anytime someone in a forgein country does something that might make a company loss a couple dollars, even though it is legal in that country, the US can go waltz on in and force the goverment to take action against someone who has broke no law?
I just hope that this ends up creating a huge can of worms that our goverment will have to address. I'm not being anti-american, I am however, being anti-let-the-corporations-run-our-and-other-goverments. I am glad that Pirate Bay will get back up, but it just makes me wonder where this will all lead to? Imagine a start-up company in italy, that starts producing a better operating system than Microsoft, and starts gaining popularity. Does this mean that we should allow Bill Gates to go up to the goverment and force them to make the US take action against Italy? Come on folks.
Anyone remember the good old days of tape-decks, and you could copy the newest kiss album without worrying that SWAT teams would bust into your house? I am just amazed at the lengths our corporate guys here will go just in order to get as much money as they can. Of course the only thing I could say is that their choice of a name (while intentional) was probably just too easy a target for the MPAA and other folks. I would really like to one day see where someone will draw the line. But I will let the other guys have at least a word in edge-wise on this never-ending subject. According to MPAA:
"Priacy hurts everyone. Here are a listing of just some of those that are effected by the illegal activities of priacy:
ECONOMIES
The US movie industry provides jobs, revenue and an export surplus for the US economy. Piracy hurts economies everywhere movies are sold, displayed or broadcast. In 2005, MPAA studios lost $6.1 billion to piracy. Some countries have already experienced the complete shutdown of their own movie industries due to piracy.
ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY
The average motion picture cost the MPAA member companies $96.2 million to make and market in 2005. Six out of ten movies never recoup their original investment. Fewer movies will be made and fewer creative risks will be taken if piracy is continues to rob those who invest in movies.
CONSUMERS
For consumers to continue to experience the variety and quality of movies they expect, piracy must be controlled. The entertainment industry recognizes the potential of technology to deliver content in new and exciting ways. However, the looming threat of piracy can thwart innovation."
But they do not even begin to mention how much they rake in month after month. And rarely do you ever hear the artists themselves whose music and movies are being pirated going off on them. Some artists just love the idea that you like them and their movies/songs. (see article). Well only time will tell how this will all work out. But I hope to see the old Pirate Ship a`flying again soon. And I promise to get back to the newbie help issues.

1 Comments:
I hear you man, There is gonna be hell with this stuff. Eventually you will not be allowed to even listen to songs you bought.
Post a Comment
<< Home